Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Important pre-sales questions - MOD-REWRITE / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Important pre-sales questions - MOD-REWRITE (2)

Posted: 09/06/2005 9:56:03 AM

Reply Quoted  

hi there,

currently i'm evaluating a link management software i'm for one of customers. In-Portal would meet ALL requirements but there is a serious issue.

my customer wants to use mod_rewrite for SEO. this is a must-have requirement for him. after reading the manual and postings in the forum i'm NOT sure that mod_rewrite could be used with In-Portal...

customer's requirements:
generic schema for 'visible URLs:
www.website.com/catalog/category/subcategory/xxx_some_id.html

example:
www.website.com/catalog/arts_entertainment/games/xxx_4711.html

question 1: how can this 'visible' URL be mapped to In-Portals URL syntax?
www.website.com/catalog/index.php?env=inlink/index:m20-1-1-1:|0-0-1-:n0-0-0....

as i know mod_rewite can be used to map visible URLs to internal URLs. but: this can be done easily if the link software uses catecory names as URL parameters (e.g. ...&category=arts&...). In-Portal DOES NOT use category names, as i saw In-Portal uses numeric parameters (category ID ?) for categories and links.

so i'm not sure if a category name (string of category name) can be mapped to a numeric ID using mod_rewrite.

question 2: is there any website using mod_rewrite with In-Portal (In-Link) successfully? any examples out there?
i know, the configuration of mod_rewrite can be very complex. but if it's possible with In-Link i'm willing to implement the mod_rewrite rules.

question 3: if mod_rewrite can NOT be used with in-portal, is it possible to change the generation of the URL string? i know, source code modifcation isn't a good solution...

thanks in advance,
harry

Posted: 09/06/2005 3:00:27 PM

Reply Quoted  

crazyharry wrote:09/06/2005 9:56:03 AM
hi there,

currently i'm evaluating a link management software i'm for one of customers. In-Portal would meet ALL requirements but there is a serious issue.

my customer wants to use mod_rewrite for SEO. this is a must-have requirement for him. after reading the manual and postings in the forum i'm NOT sure that mod_rewrite could be used with In-Portal...

customer's requirements:
generic schema for 'visible URLs:
www.website.com/catalog/category/subcategory/xxx_some_id.html

example:
www.website.com/catalog/arts_entertainment/games/xxx_4711.html

question 1: how can this 'visible' URL be mapped to In-Portals URL syntax?
www.website.com/catalog/index.php?env=inlink/index:m20-1-1-1:|0-0-1-:n0-0-0....

as i know mod_rewite can be used to map visible URLs to internal URLs. but: this can be done easily if the link software uses catecory names as URL parameters (e.g. ...&category=arts&...). In-Portal DOES NOT use category names, as i saw In-Portal uses numeric parameters (category ID ?) for categories and links.

so i'm not sure if a category name (string of category name) can be mapped to a numeric ID using mod_rewrite.

question 2: is there any website using mod_rewrite with In-Portal (In-Link) successfully? any examples out there?
i know, the configuration of mod_rewrite can be very complex. but if it's possible with In-Link i'm willing to implement the mod_rewrite rules.

question 3: if mod_rewrite can NOT be used with in-portal, is it possible to change the generation of the URL string? i know, source code modifcation isn't a good solution...

thanks in advance,
harry

Hello Harry,

Thanks for your interest in our software. Please give me a couple of days and we'll get back to with complete answers.

Thank you for your patience!