Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal Modules / In-Bulletin – Discussion Forum / Cannot Get Forums or In Link To Work / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Cannot Get Forums or In Link To Work (8)

Posted: 06/27/2015 2:09:34 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hello Everyone,

I have posted before and nothing has fixed the following problem:

I am using the advanced theme. I set up the forums and created a category title "Airlines" ---> sub category American Airlines. When I entered a new topic that says FF program to test, I click on it and it goes to the index page (home page) ie: does not show the topic that was typed in. You can see what a I am talking about if you go to www.mytravelsource.com and click thru the forums. I have the same problem with In-link. Could this be a template problem?

I have spent in excess of 20 hours trying to get this to work. I have set permissions, deleted and reloaded the template just to name a few things I have tried. If I cannot get this to work, I will need to abandon In-Portal and switch to another CMS.

Thank you for your assistnace.

John

Posted: 06/27/2015 2:22:52 PM

Reply Quoted  

I think that you've started to create categories right under "Home" category. Instead you should be creating them under "Forums" category. The "Forums" category has needed permissions and have templates setup properly. When category template isn't setup you'll see homepage all the time when entering the category.

Posted: 06/27/2015 3:11:11 PM

Reply Quoted  

alex wrote:06/27/2015 2:22:52 PM
I think that you've started to create categories right under "Home" category. Instead you should be creating them under "Forums" category. The "Forums" category has needed permissions and have templates setup properly. When category template isn't setup you'll see homepage all the time when entering the category.

This is how I created the categories in admin:

Under yellow folder titled "Structure and Data" I have:

(Pink Folder) Home

(Pink Folder) + Platform

(Pink Folder) + My Account

(Yellow Folder) + Forums - There is a dotted line in admin that goes to "Home"

I clicked on "Forums" and then "New Section" and created the category "Airlines" When I edit I see this:

<TITLE> Tag: Airlines
Title (Menu Item): Airlines
Short URL:
Parent Section *: Forums
Type: Virtual
Template *: Inherit from Parent

I clicked on "Airlines" then New Section and created a sub category titled " American Airlines"

When I edit, I see this:

Title (Menu Item): American Airlines
Short URL:
Parent Section *: -- Airlines

I went to my home page www.mytravelsource.com, logged in and entered a topic under American Airlines. When I click on the topic I entered, it goes to the home page.

When I click on "Topics" and edit "FF Program" topic I entered from the website, I see:

ID: 18
Subject *: FF Program
Posted By *: my email address
Parent Section: --American Airlines

Is the pink folder in under Structure and Data in the right place or does in need to be moved?

Thanks

John

Posted: 06/27/2015 4:57:58 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hello John,

It will take much less time if can take a quick look at Admin of your installation. Please email me at admin@in-portal.org with URL and login details.

Thank you.

John wrote:06/27/2015 3:11:11 PM
alex wrote:06/27/2015 2:22:52 PM

This is how I created the categories in admin:

Under yellow folder titled "Structure and Data" I have:

(Pink Folder) Home

(Pink Folder) + Platform

(Pink Folder) + My Account

(Yellow Folder) + Forums - There is a dotted line in admin that goes to "Home"

I clicked on "Forums" and then "New Section" and created the category "Airlines" When I edit I see this:

<TITLE> Tag: Airlines
Title (Menu Item): Airlines
Short URL:
Parent Section *: Forums

I clicked on "Airlines" then New Section and created a sub category titled " American Airlines"

When I edit, I see this:

Title (Menu Item): American Airlines
Short URL:
Parent Section *: -- Airlines

I went to my home page www.mytravelsource.com, logged in and entered a topic under American Airlines. When I click on the topic I entered, it goes to the home page.

When I click on "Topics" and edit "FF Program" topic I entered from the website, I see:

ID: 18
Subject *: FF Program
Posted By *: my email address
Parent Section: --American Airlines

Is the pink folder in under Structure and Data in the right place or does in need to be moved?

Thanks

John

Posted: 06/27/2015 5:05:53 PM

Reply Quoted  

I just sent you an email with the information you requested.

Thank you.

John

Posted: 06/27/2015 6:12:20 PM

Reply Quoted  

You should have picked "Home > Forums" folder to start with instead of "Home > Platform > My Account > Forums" folder. Here is a video: http://screencast.com/t/xZIZK5qxi5

Posted: 06/27/2015 7:01:06 PM

Reply Quoted  

alex wrote:06/27/2015 6:12:20 PM
You should have picked "Home > Forums" folder to start with instead of "Home > Platform > My Account > Forums" folder. Here is a video: http://screencast.com/t/xZIZK5qxi5

Alex,

I did pick the "forums" folder just like in the video. My Home folder is on top of the tree instead of the bottom, does this make a difference?

Thanks

John

Posted: 06/28/2015 6:06:17 PM

Reply Quoted  

The forums and In-link now work.

Thank you Alex and Dmitry for your help.

John