Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / New Features & Improvement Suggestions / User tracking / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

User tracking (3)

Posted: 06/09/2005 3:27:24 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hi,

My wife and I were both trying to review an item on separate computers, but as far as our in-portal site is concerned we have the same IP address (behind a router running NAT). So after I reviewed an item, my wife tried to review it, but it won't let her. It says that she has already reviewed it. Am I correct in assuming that this is because we have the same IP? If so, is there a reason for setting it up that way? Why not track by username instead of IPs? IP addresses can change anyway.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted: 06/09/2005 9:55:25 AM

Reply Quoted  

jsprague wrote:06/09/2005 3:27:24 AM
Hi,

My wife and I were both trying to review an item on separate computers, but as far as our in-portal site is concerned we have the same IP address (behind a router running NAT). So after I reviewed an item, my wife tried to review it, but it won't let her. It says that she has already reviewed it. Am I correct in assuming that this is because we have the same IP? If so, is there a reason for setting it up that way? Why not track by username instead of IPs? IP addresses can change anyway.

Thanks,
Jason

Hello Jason,

Well, it's a standard way for these things. From one point it make sense to track it by username, but from another it's much simpler to register multiple usernames to do multiple reviews and/or ratings. On top of that username tracking only good for registered users, but there are cases when Guests are allowed to submit reviews and then we have to look at IP address anyway.

Thanks.

Posted: 06/09/2005 10:22:37 PM

Reply Quoted  

Thanks Dmitry.. That makes sense.. I guess we will just find another way for both of us to add our reviews..