Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / Need Help! / Erro message when posting in Forum / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Erro message when posting in Forum (9)

Posted: 03/17/2017 10:03:34 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hi Gents,
I noticed that I get the following error message when I post a message in the forum of my site.
"Exception: mail error: header To is required in /data/18/3/7/108/3170597/user/3539781/htdocs/in-portal_5_2_0/in-portal/core/kernel/utility/email_send.php on line 1131"

The post still happens and shows up if I refresh browser.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

Posted: 03/17/2017 12:06:31 PM

Reply Quoted  

I've last seen this error on http://community.in-portal.org/x/x48k discussion.

It happens during mail sending (apparently creation of topic/post is sending email) when recipient of email is empty. For example:

* user, that is receiving email haven't specified email address on his profile
* you haven't specified email in "Messages from Site Admin are from" setting in "Configuration > Website > General" but that email is used to notify "root" user about added topics

Posted: 03/20/2017 2:08:34 PM

Reply Quoted  

Strange as I tested this myself on my account where email is present. Never had issues before with this but just started. Do not get this error message we a reply is created to an existing posted message. Only when I try and create a new topic.

Any suggestions on a fix?
Dave

Posted: 03/21/2017 2:41:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Since you're getting this error each time I'm in unique position because until now there wasn't 100% reproducible test case to produce any kind of fix.

I'll ask you to perform some tests:

1. if you don't have "/system/debug.php" file, then copy it from "/tools/debug_sample.php" file
2. in "/system/debug.php" file specify your IP address (public one) in the "DBG_IP" setting (line 29)
3. perform actions that result in error you're reported
4. now instead of just error message you'll see a debugger report (div with violet and yellow rows) opened with more details about what's happening
5. scroll down to the end of debugger report
6. take a screenshot and post it to some screenshot sharing service
7. post url to that screenshot here

Thanks.

Posted: 03/24/2017 9:57:46 AM

Reply Quoted  

alex wrote:03/21/2017 2:41:00 AM
Since you're getting this error each time I'm in unique position because until now there wasn't 100% reproducible test case to produce any kind of fix.

1. if you don't have "/system/debug.php" file, then copy it from "/tools/debug_sample.php" file
2. in "/system/debug.php" file specify your IP address (public one) in the "DBG_IP" setting (line 29)
4. now instead of just error message you'll see a debugger report (div with violet and yellow rows) opened with more details about what's happening

Thanks.

Hi Alex,
Here is the Link for the Snapshot of the error message.

http://www.contestcanada.com/in-portal_5_2_0/in-portal/debug.GIF
let me know if you require anything further.
Thanks
Dave

Posted: 03/27/2017 11:02:43 AM

Reply Quoted  

alex wrote: 03/21/2017 2:41:00 AM

Thanks.

Hi Alex,
Here is the Link for the Snapshot of the error message.

http://www.contestcanada.com/in-portal_5_2_0/in-portal/debug.GIF
let me know if you require anything further.
Thanks
Dave

Posted: 03/28/2017 2:22:31 AM

Reply Quoted  

Thanks for Debug Report. It was helpful. From the debug report I can see that email notification is sent, but code after it, that sends more emails, is failing.

Please go to "User Management > User Subscriptions" section in the Admin Console. You might have some records there (I have none) and one of these records might belong to deleted user.

If you find such record, then you can delete it and then it will be an In-Portal bug where user deletion doesn't cause automatic removal of his subscriptions.

Posted: 03/28/2017 8:28:11 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hi Alex,

Awesome, That fixed it. I check some of the User subscriptions but many has been deleted after their account expired. I deleted these in the User subscription and it seemed to fix the issue.

Now I just need to learn how to read the debug report. ;-)
Thanks again.
Dave

Posted: 03/29/2017 4:59:21 AM

Reply Quoted  

I've added a bug report about this with a fix explanation (for developers): http://community.in-portal.org/x/D4BYAQ.