Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / Need Help! / Server crashed, Oops / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Server crashed, Oops (4)

Posted: 02/24/2005 2:09:22 AM

Reply Quoted  

I was modifying In-Portal templates and caused my server to crash. The code remains standard, I was just working with templates.

I did find that through my editing I had accidentally declared the doctype again in index.tpl and added </html> into that same file. Maybe this is all it was, but I need to let the host know something about the probable cause. Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------

Are you running something new on your site? The script is running itself in to an infinite loop causing apache and mysql to crash within seconds of it running.

What is happening is that every time someone visited your site, the server would crash. As you can imagine, I am very concerned about the health of the server and as such, I would require a solid demonstration that this will not happen again.

[Edited By lhornaday on 02/24/05 2:09:56 AM]

[Edited By lhornaday on 02/24/05 2:10:31 AM]

Posted: 02/24/2005 3:58:58 PM

Reply Quoted  

lhornaday wrote:02/24/2005 2:09:22 AM
I was modifying In-Portal templates and caused my server to crash. The code remains standard, I was just working with templates.

I did find that through my editing I had accidentally declared the doctype again in index.tpl and added </html> into that same file. Maybe this is all it was, but I need to let the host know something about the probable cause. Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------

Are you running something new on your site? The script is running itself in to an infinite loop causing apache and mysql to crash within seconds of it running.

What is happening is that every time someone visited your site, the server would crash. As you can imagine, I am very concerned about the health of the server and as such, I would require a solid demonstration that this will not happen again.

[Edited By lhornaday on 02/24/05 2:09:56 AM]

[Edited By lhornaday on 02/24/05 2:10:31 AM]

Hello,

Let's analyze this situation. Server crash (Unix type) because of the indefinite loop. It won't crash the MySQL or PHP and will simply timeout after the set number of second (default 60 sec.). Also, the memory limit on the PHP won't let ir overuse all the server memory in any case. The wost thing you should get is an empty page. Talking about PHP on Windows servers - it is way less stable especially if it runs on IIS. The thing can crash almost on anything.

In regards to additional "</HTML>", "<DOCTYPE...>" or any other none In-protal tags, they all are getting passed through the system parser without any action at all. In other words, system parser doesn't care about damaged HTML structure, since it only works with tags which have <inp: prefix.

Please submit a support ticket and specify your FTP and Admin information in case if you want us to take a closer look on In-portal.

Thanks.

Posted: 02/24/2005 9:22:20 PM

Reply Quoted  

The server is Unix. And the empty page was what i was getting.

I see now, It must be a problem with an in-tag. I do rememer another error I had in which there was an extra space at " index" on one of these two:

<inp:m_module_link _Module="In-Link" _image="img/allpilots_06.gif" _Template=" index" _Root="1" id="navbar_link_image" />
or
<a href="<inp:m_template_link _Template=" index" _Category="0">">

Would changes like this to either of these cause a problem?

Thanks for the help! I was having much fun with the templates until this happend

Posted: 02/25/2005 11:04:34 AM

Reply Quoted  

lhornaday wrote:02/24/2005 9:22:20 PM
The server is Unix. And the empty page was what i was getting.

I see now, It must be a problem with an in-tag. I do rememer another error I had in which there was an extra space at " index" on one of these two:

<inp:m_module_link _Module="In-Link" _image="img/allpilots_06.gif" _Template=" index" _Root="1" id="navbar_link_image" />
or
<a href="<inp:m_template_link _Template=" index" _Category="0">">

Would changes like this to either of these cause a problem?

Thanks for the help! I was having much fun with the templates until this happend

Hello,

Well, the second tag that you specified has a syntax error in it. Let's take a closer look:

<a href="<inp:m_template_link _Template=&quotindex&quot_Category="0">">

The actual In-portal tag is placed within HTML A tag which absolutely fine. The problem is with the closing part of In-portal tag. Basically, the same as in HTML there are two types of tags:

a. Opening and Closing tag - These type of tags must have both opening and closing tags, otherwise this would break the system. Example of such HTML tag <HTML></HTML>. Example of In-portal tag <inp:m_perm_text _Text="!lu_allow_language_tag!" _PlainText="Just a text" _DenyText="!lu_deny_language_tag!" _PlainDenyText="Just a plain text" _Perm="login" _MatchAllPerms="1" _NoPerm="0">Some HTML here!</inp:m_perm_text>

b. Single tag - Doesn't support a closing tag at all or it is an optional. Example of HTML tag - <BR />. Example of In-portal tag - <inp:m_template_link _Template=" index" _Category="0" /> . It's very important to properly close the tags.

Most of In-portal tags are Single ones, but not all of them. We strongly recommend to refer to the In-tag Library (Admin->Modules&Settings:In-tag Library) section for complete list of tags with their description, list of accepted attributes and example of use.

Please note, that we assume that you know what you are doing when working with the tags. In other words, you need to be more careful when changing them.

Cheers!

[Edited By Dmitry on 02/25/05 11:12:16 AM]