Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / Need Help! / Root Categories Descriptions / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Root Categories Descriptions (7)

Posted: 11/09/2004 3:12:15 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem these days... maybe it is a program bug, maybe is just my brain:

I modified my homepage template putting in it this In-TAG:
<inp:include _Template="inlink/index/categories.tpl" _DataExists=1 _NoDataTemplate="inlink/index/no_categories" />

The results on my site was similar to what I expected apart from a couple of things:
1. I see the "very root" of my categories (directory, news, forums) instead of just the In-Link root category.
2. I modify the description of the categories I just told you (dir, news, forum), I update the tree as requested but I can just see the default string for them. Did I forgot something?

Thanks in advance guys,
Federico aka MrDisaster

Posted: 11/09/2004 9:31:45 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hello Federico,

1. There is a special tag to do a module specific includes - "mod_include". Simple check you tag tool for the parameters and example.
2. Looked over your website and it seems to display the description just fine, isn't it. At least I can see the entire paragraph and not just a first line.

Thank you.

Posted: 11/09/2004 10:44:22 AM

Reply Quoted  

Thanks about checking... I changed the cache tags preference and it started working by magic. Funny that I did it in sync with your check! :P

The worst about that is that I still see the main categories and not the first category branch (the in-link one). I'll try to guess how to manage with that... but if you have any clue, you're welcome.

Thanks for your time,
Federico

Posted: 11/09/2004 4:14:05 PM

Reply Quoted  

Ok... I have to add a few things about my post. I'm feeling a bit lost about the template editing: don't get me wrong, I believe that the template directories you chosen are ok, however I find a few things a bit misleading about how the templates do work once in action.

Let me explain: for a reason I still do not comprehend there seem to be a "path" that is relative to a certain module (let's say InNewz) and then another kind of homepage link that leads to the root of the InPortal site. Am I wrong? If not... isn't it a bit misleading?

Second. I noticed that adding a template like "categories/catlist_element" on my frontpage, everything seems ok there but once I click on a link generated by this tag I get a page that is a sort of frontpage's child that inherit all the html of its parent (eg. the welcomebox). Is it ok?

Pardon for my poor english I try to do my best... but... errr, I'm italian ops:

Thanks in advance,
Federico

Posted: 11/10/2004 8:55:05 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hello Federico,

Yes, I know it is a little more complex then old In-link system, but at the same time it's make the new template system very flexible.

1. Question about module paths. There are some tag in the system which can return different results depending on a module the current item belongs to. Let's look at the following example:

<inp:include _Template="index/categories.tpl" />

. Here you are making a global template include. On the other hand, if you can use:

<inp:mod_include _Template="index/categories.tpl" />

, In this case system will insert "index/categories.tpl" template from all enabled modules (or the ones you specified in _modules parameter). It's important to understand that in this case the system will be looking for a template under ROOT folder of the current module. So for In-link it tries to include "inlink/index/categories.tpl", but for In-bulletin "inbulletin/index/categories.tpl" template.

2. Going back to question about "categories/catlist_element.tpl" template. The tag which builds the URL for the current category:

<inp:cat _field="link" />

. It will build the URL using the same template you are currently on, unless you manually specified a different template as an additional parameter. For example,

<inp:cat _field="link" _Template="sub_pages.tpl" />

I hope all this make more sense.

Thank you.

Posted: 11/11/2004 4:14:23 AM

Reply Quoted  

Ok.. that makes much more sense. Thankyou very much for the nice explanation, now I'll need a few more time to experiment myself with the various tags.

I just have one more question about it... the docs seem to lack this kind of information and I think it is not a good thing. As the system changed much over the previous InLink and seems even very complex, wouldn't it be a good idea to add a section about this kind of stuff?

A sort of technical manual separated, if you wish, from the other one to be read by editors and similar site's staff people.

Ciao,
Federico

Posted: 11/12/2004 10:01:51 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hello Federico,

Yes, that's true. Current In-portal manual doesn't have any type of customization details. As a matter of fact, we are already planning the API documentation for In-portal Platform and it's modules. Unfortunately, it won't be released very soon, but it's in our interest to get out of the door as quick as possible.

Meantime, you are welcome to ask any questions. We'll be more than happy to assist you!

Cheers!

Dmitry