Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Javascript Dropdown Nav Menu / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Javascript Dropdown Nav Menu (4)

Posted: 07/28/2008 9:41:41 AM

Reply Quoted  

I just wanted to see what others' thoughts were on the current dropdown nav menu system that In-Portal uses. If figure that if there are enough people that hate it like I do, an alternative will come sooner rather than later. If you all like it, then that is all fine too and I will change it myself. Here is what I don't like about it:

1) I'm not convinced it is search engine friendly.
2) You have to click twice on one of the main links in the nav bar to get the link to work. The first click loads the menu and the second actually takes you where you want to go (this is how it works for me in IE anyway).
3) We have cobranded pages with several partners who have been unable to get the navbar working on their end, so now I have to rewrite the code in a non-dropdown style anyway.

Any feedback welcome..

Cheers!

Posted: 07/29/2008 6:40:58 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Yes, I do agree it's not the best drop-menu setup right now. The menu engine we are using is "NlsMenu Professional" which is super flexible. We are planning to offer better menu option as soon as final specs and layout is ready.

Basically it can look as anything here - http://www.addobject.com/nlsmenudemo/examples/index.htm

This is a quick look at Search Engine Friendly menu (same time) used in one of the biggest In-portal projects http://vic.intechnic.com.

Thanks.

Posted: 07/29/2008 7:02:44 PM

Reply Quoted  

Thanks Dmitry,

The example at Victoria's site is definitely an improvement - much faster.

I noticed today that the reason I thought I had to double click on the menu items is actually because the menu is slow. I noticed that if I mouseover and then wait a second or 2, it will go on the first click.

Ideally, I would prefer a non-dropdown menu that doesn't use all of the Javascript. Something much simpler. I can code this myself, but I will lose the ability to use the admin panel to easily add/edit/remove items from the menu.

Posted: 02/28/2010 12:56:16 PM

Reply Quoted  

This menu looks good! Thanks. I am having trouble with my menus and also do not understand how to edit them. I find them very slow... but better that what I had in the past. I really need them to be search engine friendly Thanks for this
Cynthia