Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Russian Language to UTF-8 / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Russian Language to UTF-8 (8)

Posted: 03/25/2008 6:56:55 PM

Reply Quoted  

After updating with new In-Portal version and updating IE to 7 my Menu in Russian language stops working. My website always showing Russian language and that drop down option does not work. Only work in English language.

I created development installation to solve this problem.

As we work with support team they sugest me to open discustion on open forum to helping others. We still work on this with customer support.

I will put here some sugestions to solve this problem.
IE doesn't like non-UTF encodings in XML with non-latin alphabet. In other words, it will work just fine if with UTF-8 encoding.
When I changed Russian language pack settings to UTF-8 all russian leters become square.

Support representative's response:

I recommend creating a dev. copy of In-portal installation and DB. Use UTF-8 everywhere - in DB collation, in config.php, in Language pack see if makes any difference. The tests I ran were done on MySQL 5.

Note that new installation should be minimum 2 folder-level below your live site.

In order to test Dev. copy of In-portal you need to use NEW installation as was notes in my previous reply and ENTER the data (including Russian) in UTF-8 encoding and not your current one.

In other words your current site data is entered in Windows-1251 or similar encoding, but should be in UTF-8.

1. import your Russian Language pack
2. try adding both Russian and English categories listings and see if menu works in IR.

1. Make sure to specify DBCollation in config.php before installation starts
2. You can do Export of your current English and Russian language packs (from LIVE site) into files, open change Encoding and try import them into you DEV site.

How to export lang. pack from your Admin->Cofiguration->Regional section?

Export from Live into the file, change Encoding to UTF-8 (specified within the file), save and import into your Development.

Download this file and opened woth WordPad. Here I see very first line:
<LANGUAGE PackName="Russian" Encoding="base64"><DATEFORMAT>d.m.Y</DATEFORMAT ...

Change Encoding="base64" to Encoding="UTF-8" and save file.
Question. Before I import into my Development should I removed old Russian Language Pack? Or it is overwrited?

Support representative's response:
Old one will be overwritten automatically.

Ok. I made everything. Seems to me nothing changed in visibility.

Support representative's response:

No problem, we really need to move all this discussions to support forum! I need activity there and I know you can help me and I can help you.

I'll check on script for DB conversion into UTF-8 format tomorrow. I believe we already have something like this ready.


Posted: 03/26/2008 11:33:48 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hi Konstantin,

Yes, I find this very useful information.

Also, we are working on UTF convert script so you can convert your existing database data into UTF-8.


Posted: 03/26/2008 10:56:41 PM

Reply Quoted  

Now we have New In-portal v4.3.0 and Modules Released. Should I updated my website or wait antil problem will solved?

Thank you.

Posted: 03/27/2008 1:56:37 PM

Reply Quoted  

I don't see why you need to wait and not to do the upgrade now.

Meantime we'll test the convertion script.


Posted: 03/27/2008 2:27:50 PM

Reply Quoted  

How about to update development copy of my site?

Posted: 03/27/2008 4:47:16 PM

Reply Quoted  

rushhohol wrote:03/27/2008 2:27:50 PM
How about to update development copy of my site?

Hi Konstantin,

If you are asking for my permission - it's totally fine with me

Posted: 03/27/2008 11:14:37 PM

Reply Quoted  

Dmitry, I just to make sure I will not interrupt your testing.

I updated files in development site. When I login to admin section as root user left panel invisible with error "Fatal Error: RealClass not defined for pseudo_class bb_TagProcessor in /home/rushhoho/public_html/pcseba/core/kernel/utility/factory.php on line 91".

I updated real site and have same error. Looks like this is not about some files was corrupt during FTP. Here is something else.

Posted: 03/27/2008 11:39:46 PM

Reply Quoted  

Never mind!!!

I cleared Cache table and everything working now.
Sorry. That Cache table make me crease