Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Not realy glad / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Not realy glad (4)

Posted: 02/17/2005 8:48:50 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hello

I bought in-portal because it looked nice and easy.
But Now I have it installed.

- update templates (design) can be done but takes a lot of time
[URL href="http://www.macnewsportal.com/index.php"]macnewsportal[/URL]
- all links shown on the demo are "editor picks". I thought that it would be an option, show last 5 links, news items on front page etc
- the codes used for the templates etc etc, are not usable. to dif. to find out.
- Upload image for link - not working.
- Smiles are not working
- Import links - not avalible
- Fetch meta data, when adding link. - not avalible (oh so handy, links will be auto validated)
- No way for users to add news a normal way. (same for admin)

If I did known this all before I waited to buy the script ($ 295)
It is a good program, but it needs to grow.

All features that I mentiont above are normal implementations in other program's
But beceause of the looks (they are Great)..... I bought the script.

(due a release date I need to find something else :-( to work with.
I will still monitor in-portal and when the day comes I will use it

Kind regards
Martijn Broeders

[Edited By interad on 02/17/05 8:51:10 AM]

Posted: 02/17/2005 11:41:49 AM

Reply Quoted  

interad wrote:02/17/2005 8:48:50 AM
Hello

I bought in-portal because it looked nice and easy.
But Now I have it installed.

- update templates (design) can be done but takes a lot of time
[URL href="http://www.macnewsportal.com/index.php"]macnewsportal[/URL]
- all links shown on the demo are "editor picks". I thought that it would be an option, show last 5 links, news items on front page etc
- the codes used for the templates etc etc, are not usable. to dif. to find out.
- Upload image for link - not working.
- Smiles are not working
- Import links - not avalible
- Fetch meta data, when adding link. - not avalible (oh so handy, links will be auto validated)
- No way for users to add news a normal way. (same for admin)

If I did known this all before I waited to buy the script ($ 295)
It is a good program, but it needs to grow.

All features that I mentiont above are normal implementations in other program's
But beceause of the looks (they are Great)..... I bought the script.

(due a release date I need to find something else :-( to work with.
I will still monitor in-portal and when the day comes I will use it

Kind regards
Martijn Broeders

[Edited By interad on 02/17/05 8:51:10 AM]

Hello Martijn,

I already replied on your support ticket, but I can post it here as well.

1. Updating templates to reflect your design. All templates are built from pure HTML/XHTML which includes In-portal system tags. For your convenience we are using CSS in our templates, so you can easily adjust the color and font schemes throughout the entire website.

2. You can asking the same question for three times and I don't now what else to say since already explained everything. You began saying that In-portal Demo website has different templates, but it doesn't. Everything what you see on Demo you have in default installation.

In terms of what you need to display new Links and Articles on the Home page, this can be done by passing an additional attribute to already existing "l_list_links" tag. Especially for that purpose we have dynamically loaded In-tag library, so you can see all the tags with the description and attributes they accept. By the way, this tag has been used many time in multiple templates and I guess it's simple enough to understand what it does and lookup in a tag library for more info.

3. The templates were built as simple as we could get them based on our previous experience with In-link2 and taking in count all the functionality we need to have. We assume that you have a good knowledge at least in HTML if planning to build the website yourself. This is an example of the template work we've just recently done - http://www.talkislam.com/portal/. It took only a few hours to customize it.

4. I am not aware of this problem, but it does work on our Demo, Support Forum and all other clients we have worked on.

5. Same here.

6 and 7. These are new features you are asking about and we already put it on the "wish list". The Import script will be available in future releases. The specs. for Automatic validation are not ready yet.

8. The functionality for submitting Articles is in place, but by our template design there is no logic in giving people option to submit them on the Front End. For that purpose I would recommend to create an Editor group with permissions to do it directly from the Administration Console.

I hope it all make sense to you.

By the way, I looked at your site, it looks nice. It seems that you have already successfully customized quite a bit. At this point, I would recommend to work with In-portal tags a little more, so you can customize the output as well.

Thank you.

[Edited By Dmitry on 02/17/05 11:57:27 AM]

Posted: 02/17/2005 1:30:22 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hello Dmitry

Thanks for the response.
Sorry about my temper. :-)

I will go on than with it. I just was frustrated......

Will show you the site when it's done.

Hmm one other thing.
Is it possible to set all incomming to "editors pick"
(incomming links, news and directory)

Kind regards
Martijn Broeders

Posted: 02/17/2005 2:24:24 PM

Reply Quoted  

interad wrote:02/17/2005 1:30:22 PM
Hello Dmitry

Thanks for the response.
Sorry about my temper. :-)

I will go on than with it. I just was frustrated......

Will show you the site when it's done.

Hmm one other thing.
Is it possible to set all incomming to "editors pick"
(incomming links, news and directory)

Kind regards
Martijn Broeders

Hello agan,

Sorry, but I missed your idea. Would you please give me a little more description on what you are trying to do with "incomming"?

Thanks.