Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Thumbnail image Idea / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Thumbnail image Idea (3)

Posted: 11/26/2004 3:10:15 PM

Reply Quoted  

Just an idea...

I thought of this a while back for another project I was working on and I thought it would be perfect for in-portal. I noticed that the links have the ability to have an image tied to them.

What I usually end up doing is putting in a thumbnail screen capture of the homepage the link is pointing to. It's a rather tedious process and I thought if there was a way to do this automatically that would be awesome.

I think it would be possible..I'm just not sure how. Perhaps something that can be done during the link verify process coupled with imagemagic?

Posted: 11/27/2004 1:49:25 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hi Cory,

Take a look at http://www.thumbshots.org/

They are already doing what you are suggesting. This is a very complicated and performance-intensive procedure to create a screen shot of a site automatically. We have no plans at this time to implement anything like that directly into In-portal. However, integration with a service like ThumbShots is very easy, it only requires a little template manipulation.

Posted: 11/28/2004 4:07:53 PM

Reply Quoted  

Very interesting. Thanks again Pavel!!