Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Speed / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Speed (8)

Posted: 11/16/2004 2:08:21 PM

Reply Quoted  

Is it possible to make in-portal run faster without investing in a new server?
I checked "Enable Tag Caching".

Did any of you try Turck MMCache? Does Intechnic think this would help?

Posted: 11/16/2004 2:14:43 PM

Reply Quoted  

Gerard,

What functions would you like to improve the speed of? Front end? Admin? Specific pages?

In some cases TurkMMCache will help, in some others it will not, but there are other ways too.

Posted: 11/16/2004 2:34:27 PM

Reply Quoted  

Pavel,

Both front end backend. But it seems the site is getting faster allready. Is this caused by the tag caching?

If you compare my version 2 www.waddenweb.nl
and in-portal version www.waddenweb.nl/dev
you will notice a considerable difference in speed.

When I click a cat in v2 it takes 11% cpu
In in-portal 30 - 40%

I wonder what happens with a lot of visitors.

Gerard

Posted: 11/16/2004 4:55:53 PM

Reply Quoted  

The fact that it's starting to run faster is indeed caching taking effect. It saves pages and dramatically reduces the load on the database.

When I tried your site, it was running pretty fast.

What is your web server? Depending on the setup, it will handle a lot of vistiros better or worse.

Posted: 11/16/2004 5:19:14 PM

Reply Quoted  

Raq4
Apache/1.3.20
PHP Version 4.3.3
MySQL 4.0.13

Connection to the backbone is fast

p.s. A lot of spammers registrered on this forum in the last few weeks

Posted: 11/16/2004 5:27:59 PM

Reply Quoted  

I think your site will be fine with more traffic... In-portal does use more CPU then In-link2, of course. But we tried to compensate by writing efficient code, and we are continuing to improve on it with every (almost :wink: ) release.

TurkMMCache will ease the load once you start having a lot of visitors. I don't think it will speed up a lot if you are the only once using the site.

Posted: 11/16/2004 5:28:51 PM

Reply Quoted  

Oh, and yes, I noticed about the forum. As soon as we upgrade to In-bulletin, we are going to unleash the power of Ban rules on them

Posted: 11/16/2004 5:45:12 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:bf36bd33b2="Pavel"]I think your site will be fine with more traffic... In-portal does use more CPU then In-link2, of course. But we tried to compensate by writing efficient code, and we are continuing to improve on it with every (almost :wink: ) release.

TurkMMCache will ease the load once you start having a lot of visitors. I don't think it will speed up a lot if you are the only once using the site.[/quote:bf36bd33b2]

Thanks, I expect to run in-portal real soon. I am very excited about it.