Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / Auction script integration with In-Portal / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

Auction script integration with In-Portal (3)

Posted: 11/14/2004 11:36:12 PM

Reply Quoted  

I’m considering using a PHP auction script on my site and I would like to have it fit in nicely with In-Portal. The concerns I have are on performance and memory. A programmer will do the work, but I would like to your recommendations since you are very experienced with In-Portal and PHP.

1) Overall, is this even a good idea to do with PHP/MySQL?

2) Would one database or two be best? The user table would need to be shared, of course, and I assume others also.

3) Anything else I should know, but don’t know to ask?

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 11/16/2004 11:47:34 AM

Reply Quoted  

Hello lhornaday,

Are you planning to use an existing auction script, or write it from scratch?

1) I don't see why not. We are very happy with PHP/MySQL combination, performance and flexibility-wise especially.

2) Usually it does not matter, but it depends on your auction script. In-portal can be setup with a table prefix, so there will not be any table name conflicts. But the other program may need an entire DB to itself.

3) There is a lot involved in a project like this. It's really hard to tell you anything without knowing all of the details. One advise I can give you though, is to make sure that the programmer who is going to do the job is very capable. That will make all the difference in the success of your project. A good programmer will know answers to many questions you are thinking of, and more importantly, he will know what questions to ask and what possible caveats there may be.

Posted: 11/18/2004 1:46:03 AM

Reply Quoted  

Thank you Pavel,

From your reply, and research on my own, I have decided to go with PHP. Besides, I'm not expecting eBay sized traffic.

Creating my own script was something that crossed my mind, but since there wouldn't be any resell oppritunity, a stock script will be the best choice.

I have started exploring with PHP ProBid and I am happy with what I have seen so far. In fact, I have already been able to combine the databases with a split user table. My plan is to modify In-Portal as little as possible, but I had to modify the registration process a little to perform a date check (users under 18 can't be held by a contract) and apply the signup credit if they pass.