Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / In-Link / In-Portal Alternatives? / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

In-Link / In-Portal Alternatives? (7)

Posted: 12/05/2003 6:11:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

I've been happily using In-Link for some time to run my local internet directory serving northeast Pennsylvania (NEPADirectory.com). However I've outgrown In-Link as a stand-alone product and really need to add some portal features to keep the traffic coming to my site (namely, news, weather, messageboard, etc).

While I'd love to wait around another 2 years for In-Portal to get finished, it's pretty clear to me that the product is dead so it's time to move on. Can anyone recommend any good alternatives that might meet my needs?

One solution I came up with was to somehow integrate my existing In-Link install with GeekLog, a popular portal system in the same vein as PHPNuke. However I suspect that may be more trouble than it's worth. Especially since I'd have to pull my programmer off other (money-making) projects just to focus on setting up this one, generally non-profit site.

The other option is to actually locate and purchase a competing package, which has all the features I need. Again, the trouble is that what I really want is In-Link plus dynamic portal features (a.k.a. In-Portal) so I'd hate to scrap all of my current investment just to add some features to my site.

Does anyone have any ideas? To those of you who gave up on In-Portal, what did you migrate to? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 12/07/2003 11:52:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

I have to tell you - waiting for in-portal is sucking - I'm happy for the updates to in-link but... etc etc.

Anyway, I've been playing around with E107 http://www.e107.org it's still very young - but it looks like it's going to be very robust in the end and again open source so it has a great price...

To be honest I hate *nuke* whatever my - php - etc etc... In my opinion they're overly filled with junk - and more trouble to edit than need be...

I still hold out hope that the Intechnic folks will step up to the plate and let people in on in-portal's status - but these are all old questions and arguments that Pavel refers to as attacks...

Anyway - In-Link still is the best solution for links - and the support for in-link is great. The rest is as it is... I gave up thinking about it... (until you posted!)

Ripbud

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ripbud on 2003-12-07 11:53 ]</font>

Posted: 12/08/2003 11:54:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

I still use In-Link for two of our sites, but I created a new one in Focal Media's Powerseek. It can create static or dynamic pages. I have used Invisionboard to manage forums, and Hamweather.com for weather.

If you want to take a look at Focal Media it's http://www.focalmedia.net, and my site is http://www.onebigmall.com. Compare it to http://www.onebigdirectory.com which is one of my in-link sites.

We get our news from PRWEB. They have a hundred or so RSS feeds to choose from, including top headlines, and stuff like that.

Hope that helps.

Glenn

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ggarnes on 2003-12-08 11:56 ]</font>

Posted: 12/09/2003 4:34:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:30095600b2]
Anyway - In-Link still is the best solution for links - and the support for in-link is great. The rest is as it is... I gave up thinking about it... (until you posted!)
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ripbud on 2003-12-07 11:53 ]</font>
[/quote:30095600b2]

Yeah I agree, I love InLink's general functionality and hate to replace it. It just seems that it's essentially a dead-end product and there's not much sense into putting more money into something that's dead.

With that said, e107 appears to be very similar to the other blog / portal packages so integrating with that might be a viable option. However since I already know Geeklog very well, it's got a great community, clean code (not based on nuke) and so on I'd probably stick with that. But thanks for the suggestion.

[quote:30095600b2]
On 2003-12-08 11:54, ggarnes wrote:
I still use In-Link for two of our sites, but I created a new one in Focal Media's Powerseek.</font>
[/quote:30095600b2]

Hey I didn't know that Focal Media had a new system out. The original NEPADirectory was actually based on TurboSeek, their old search engine, so I'm quite familiar with their products. I might have to check it out.

On a side note, I like your newsfeed integration with InLink. That's pretty slick. Are those just regular RSS feeds in standard inLink templates?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digisquid on 2003-12-09 16:47 ]</font>

Posted: 12/10/2003 6:19:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Yep,

Just standard RSS Feeds from PRWEB. They've got good stuff! As a side note, when you visit http://www.onebigmall.com, take a look at the backwards links. That site was crawled less than 30 days ago, and it's already picked up 217 links, mostly internal. I have never been able to get In-link to get crawled that deeply by Google.

Glenn

Posted: 01/17/2004 11:20:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

My site is a portal and everything is in-link except the polls and guestbook. I could have done both with in-link but I didn't feel like taking the time to customize those when there are so many free systems ready out of the box. This is a heavy customized version of in-link. I think you will see its very possible to create a complete portal with in-link if you take a step back and look at what you already have to work with. Each section in admin has its own custom look. I think in-portal is released it would be a better solution but I didn't have time to wait.

http://www.insidebutlercounty.com

Posted: 02/06/2004 7:38:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

This is a bunch of crap. In-link/in-portal team has stopped posting. There are no new updates coming. I have started to wonder if this is all a rouse.