Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / I am looking for a portal with inlink / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

I am looking for a portal with inlink (8)

Posted: 08/01/2003 11:13:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Any suggestion ?

Posted: 08/01/2003 1:29:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Don't wait for inportal.

What all do you want in your portal?

Posted: 08/01/2003 3:34:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Yes, let's talk about some alternatives that could integrate In-Link into a portal or that would be an alternate to In-Portal. For example, some BBS programs integrate very well with certain link programs. I'm not sure whether anything is especially good with In-Link.

As for full-blown existing portal software, there is PHPnuke, Postnuke, Xoops, and a bunch of others. They seem to share certain characteristics: open-source, bloated code, very heavy on server use, dyanamic as opposed to static, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts or alternatives?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: charpress on 2003-08-01 15:35 ]</font>

Posted: 08/01/2003 5:15:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

This might be an example of what you're talking about: http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/

It seems to have integrated In-Link with news, forums, etc. Click on their "links" tab and you will see the typical In-Link page.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: charpress on 2003-08-01 17:16 ]</font>

Posted: 08/01/2003 5:44:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Hey Charpress!

Yep that appears to be vbullettin with an Inlink integration for sure :smile:

The only thing I dislike about the integrations I have seen is that the links section does not fit correctly in the space given in the design. One normally has to scrollbar to the right to see everything.

I am looking via an 800x600 resolution.

It is not just inlink I speak about that has been integrated with phphnuke,postnuke and vbulletin and the such like and they all seem to end up with the issue I mentioned above.

Everything is possible and to get inlink integrated with a full blown portal software is just programming and then some design work to make everything work well and look great together.

I will sit and wait as the portal market is growing all the time and Inlink is just one of many that is and will be on the market.

The difference though with Intechnic is that they built their own link software so integrating it with a full portal that they have written should not be a major issue for them in that sense. Most others that we have seen is a separate piece of software being added to another and that does not work well at times.

Just my thoughts

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian Conza on 2003-08-01 17:47 ]</font>

Posted: 08/01/2003 6:02:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

"full portal that they have written should not be a major issue for them in that sense"

Yes, I agree. Which makes you wonder about the delay. After looking around at vbPortal and the fact that at one time (if not now) In-Link was advertising there with banner ads and discounts (on vpPortal support) if you purchased In-Link, I just wonder if In-Portal was sidelined in favor of staying in a position of not being directly in competition with some of the portal products or vendors. Just thinking out loud.

Posted: 08/01/2003 7:22:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:d34a756193]
On 2003-08-01 13:29, starchdoggy wrote:
Don't wait for inportal.

What all do you want in your portal?
[/quote:d34a756193]

I am looking for some hacks like "the last 10 links", "the last 10 posts (vbulletin forum)" etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theo on 2003-08-01 19:23 ]</font>

Posted: 08/01/2003 10:06:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:067e667754]
Yes, I agree. Which makes you wonder about the delay.
[/quote:067e667754]

Pavel & Virtual Pavel have spoken on this and what else can one say.

Sooner or later or not at all :smile: Intechnic will release theirs - if not I am looking all the time what is being released and sooner or later :smile: I find something that match what I am looking for.

VBulletin - not aware that Intechnic favor them over anyone else as I do not visit their web forums at all.

Closest one I come to for buying everything in one package was echobuilder, the price though is some 6,000 USD :smile: but they have covered vitually every angle. Only thing built in ASP.