Intechnic
Users Developers
Home / Forums / In-Portal CMS / General In-Portal Discussions / In-Portal Website / Topic Posts

In-Portal Forum

This is a place for users of In-Portal to ask questions, discuss various topics, and interact with other members of the In-Portal Community. Please report bugs through the Bugs Team (not the Forum). If you are interested in contributing or joining one of the many Teams for In-Portal, please check out the Contribute section of the website.

In-Portal Forum

In-Portal Website (10)

Posted: 10/14/2002 9:22:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Nice job on the website. Nasty little tease with the small screen shot of the admin screen :smile:

Couple of questions that hopefully you can answer:

1) What modules are you planning on releasing with the first release? I would assume link management (In-Link 3.0). What others are you planning on having availble with the initial release?

2) Not asking for dates, but can you give us an idea as to the beta schedule? I know you have been burned before by giving time frames, etc, but do you have a basic idea as to when IP will into beta and how long do you intend to run in beta before you go gold?

3) I probably know the answer to this, but will there be major changes to the data structure in regards to those of us with existing In-Link installations? For example, I think I read somewhere that there will be unlimited custom fields available. Will this be the case of backing up existing data, installing IP and then importing back into the In-Link module?

You have successfully whetted my appetitie for IP. Can't wait for the release.

Thanks!

V

Posted: 10/14/2002 9:59:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:de19aa9670]
On 2002-10-14 09:22, Vince wrote:
Nice job on the website. Nasty little tease with the small screen shot of the admin screen :smile:
[/quote:de19aa9670]

Thanks! :smile:

Couple of questions that hopefully you can answer:

1) What modules are you planning on releasing with the first release? I would assume link management (In-Link 3.0). What others are you planning on having availble with the initial release?

That is correct. In-link 3.0 will be a module under In-portal. Other modules will include a Discussion Forum, News Management, Survey Management and Ad Management. Other modules will be also available later on.

2) Not asking for dates, but can you give us an idea as to the beta schedule? I know you have been burned before by giving time frames, etc, but do you have a basic idea as to when IP will into beta and how long do you intend to run in beta before you go gold?
Yes, that is exactly why I am reluctant to mention any specific dates. :smile: Hopefully, in about 4-6 weeks.

3) I probably know the answer to this, but will there be major changes to the data structure in regards to those of us with existing In-Link installations? For example, I think I read somewhere that there will be unlimited custom fields available. Will this be the case of backing up existing data, installing IP and then importing back into the In-Link module?

Yes, as you can imagine, the database structre will be different. Bascially, In-link 3.0 is a compete object-oriented re-write that had to be done in order for In-link to work on the In-portal platform. The system will come with utilities for seamless data imports from earlier versions.

You have successfully whetted my appetitie for IP. Can't wait for the release.

Thanks!

Thanks for your continuing interest!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andrew on 2002-10-14 09:59 ]</font>

Posted: 10/14/2002 12:34:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Nice to see the new site :smile:

I guess Vince has asked the "biggie" questions ...and Andrew has answered
most of them.

My own big question is how we (I) may be able to integrate payment processing with different user levels and access rights ...preferably via php rather than htaccess ...any thoughts on this Andrew, as this could be a nightmare for paid membership sites etc.

LOL, there is an uproar about Ibill charges causing migration of membership management to other third party processors. Radical differences between In-link and In-portal could result in comparable problems.

Just my personal view.

Posted: 10/14/2002 5:21:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

ok, so maybe i'm blind.....where is this new in-portal website????

never mind....i still don't see it anywhere on in-link.net but i tried in-portal.net and found it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: badmix on 2002-10-14 17:24 ]</font>

Posted: 10/14/2002 6:39:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

[quote:9c157ef9bc]
On 2002-10-14 12:34, treblesix wrote:
Nice to see the new site :smile:

I guess Vince has asked the "biggie" questions ...and Andrew has answered
most of them.

My own big question is how we (I) may be able to integrate payment processing with different user levels and access rights ...preferably via php rather than htaccess ...any thoughts on this Andrew, as this could be a nightmare for paid membership sites etc.

LOL, there is an uproar about Ibill charges causing migration of membership management to other third party processors. Radical differences between In-link and In-portal could result in comparable problems.

Just my personal view.

[/quote:9c157ef9bc]

User subscription and authentication (via PHP) is easily handeled in In-portal. In-portal will feature very flexible user permissions (with groups, etc.) allowing to easily restrict/grant access to specific users or user types.

Futhermore, we will be releasing modules for payment processing in the near future...

Posted: 10/14/2002 8:01:00 PM

Reply Quoted  

Thanks Andrew.

I am sure that will be a big plus for myself and many people

Posted: 10/17/2002 12:25:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Andrew,

I like the new site, but I have to admit I'm disappointed at the lack of information. It's so high level that the words could mean anything. I would really like to see some specifics. In-portal has been touted as the end-all solution across multiple application areas. Let us know why. Having a hub and spoke isn't revolutionary, and it's meaningless unless the spokes are revolutionary. Have you assembled and prioritized features lists? If so, let us see in what way In-portal is going to be a market beater.

Posted: 10/17/2002 5:54:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Sorry Andrew,

but I'm absolutely agree with 'bpuetz'. It's nice to see the prerelease site, but I had expected better of it. There is more information of In-portal at the forum as on the site itselfe. Nothing new to us.

Many of us have to make business decisions. With a little more specific information we can decide to carry on doing custom work at In-link or to wait for In-portal.

Customization is not our mainbusinness, even though it makes lot of fun. But there are so many other things to work for and some of them needs a decision dependin on staying with In-link fore a while or waiting for In-portal.

So please give us a bit more information and may be some screen shots.

Thanks a lot
Hermann

Posted: 10/17/2002 8:15:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Andrew,

is there anyway maybe you guys could give a little more to in-link customers at least. I would assume that most of the in-link customers will move over to in-portal in some fashion, and by providing more information to in-link customers it would really alleviate some of the stress that this whole situation has caused.

my $.02

Posted: 10/17/2002 10:25:00 AM

Reply Quoted  

Again, I can't disagree. You are absolutely right, what can i say? The site was planned exactly for the purposes that you identified. I look at it as a starting point to get everybody somewhat involved in the development process and that is exatly what were are doing. We brought the site to life over last weekend and that is obviosuly not enough time to be able to post there all the materials that we want to eventually share and discuss with you. We are prepearing some of the first screenshot posts and issues for discussion that we will appear in the next couple of days. Basically, I don't want you to look at the site as a quick "hack" to calm the public because it is not. It might look like one now but that is going to change once we start having real discussions. Again, our top priority remains the actual development of In-portal.. I wish there were more than 24 hours in a day... Thanks for your ongoing support